Jason O'Halloran was victorious in the final Bennetts British Superbike Championship race of the weekend at Silverstone, holding off his hard-charging teammate Tarran Mackenzie as Josh Brookes completed the podium to steal a Title Fighter position by four points from Bradley Ray.
The race had earlier been red flagged due to track contamination when Luke Stapleford crashed out at Brooklands with a technical problem on the twelfth lap. At the stoppage, Brookes had been leading the pack from Tommy Bridewell, Jason O'Halloran and Mackenzie ahead of an 15-lap restart.
On the restart, Brookes was determined to secure his position, firing himself to the front ahead of Gino Rea, Bridewell and O’Halloran. However, there was disappointment on lap two when he crashed the Buildbase Suzuki out of second place.
O’Halloran had moved into second before grabbing the lead on the seventh lap as Mackenzie also pulled a pass on Brookes to push the defending champion into third.
By lap 12 the McAMS Yamaha pairing were dicing for the lead again with the pair trading blows until the chequered flag, with O’Halloran holding the advantage by just 0.124s following a last lap scrap.
Brookes held onto third following a last lap battle with Bridewell and Danny Buchan, who also confirmed his positon in the Showdown for SYNETIQ BMW with fourth place after getting the better of the Oxford Products Racing Ducati rider.
Christian Iddon finished the final race of the Main Season in sixth place ahead of Bradley Ray, who dropped out of eighth place at the final stage. Lee Jackson was able to finish in eighth place, with Glenn Irwin in ninth place to secure his Title Fighter status. Ryan Vickers completed the top ten for the RAF Regular and Reserve Kawasaki team.
After a hectic 24 races that have seen seven different race winners and a total of 12 different podium finishers the Title Fighters were confirmed: O’Halloran, Mackenzie, Iddon, Bridewell, Hickman, Buchan, Glenn Irwin and Brookes.
The 2021 Showdown will feature six different teams representing four different manufacturers.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Silverstone, Race 3 result:
1. Jason O'Halloran (McAMS Yamaha)
2. Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) +0.124s
3. Josh Brookes (VisionTrack Ducati) +2.188s
4. Danny Buchan (SYNETIQ BMW) +2.357s
5. Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Products Racing Ducati) +2.713s
6. Christian Iddon (VisionTrack Ducati) +2.749s
7. Bradley Ray (Rich Energy OMG Racing BMW) +4.840s
8. Lee Jackson (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) +5.062s
9. Glenn Irwin (Honda Racing) +5.453s
10. Ryan Vickers (RAF Regular & Reserve Kawasaki) +5.720s
For the full result please click here
Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings after Silverstone:
1. Jason O'Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) 1071
2. Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) 1041
3. Christian Iddon (VisionTrack Ducati) 1026
4. Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Products Racing Ducati) 1024
5. Peter Hickman (FHO Racing BMW) 1015
6. Danny Buchan (SYNETIQ BMW) 1014
7. Glenn Irwin (Honda Racing) 1012
8. Josh Brookes (VisionTrack Ducati) 1002
For the full standings please click here
For the final points after race three please click here